Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On Practice

A friend of mine, a published writer, has suggested that I should try submitting articles to online magazines.  The principle being that I gain experience with the whole proposal/writing/submission cycle even if I am rejected.

I cannot really argue; the position is sound.  Though I think the most important thing I need to work on is ideas.  I have plenty of confidence in my ability to write; deciding what to write about is trickier.  I have to come up with something the publication will want, that I can also write credibly about.  The web magazine I'm considering writing for is mostly focused on digital interactive entertainment; video games.  I'm not an avid gamer or MMO player myself, so of course I'm concerned that will affect my credibility.  Still, I know many gamers, and even people employed by the industry, so I have lots of research sources.

So, then, I must come up with a plan.  I've obtained the magazine's submission guidelines already, as well as their theme schedule.  The next step, I suppose, is to go through their archives to see what has been submitted before so I don't repeat anything.  After that I come up with a proposal and submit it.  It sounds so easy when I type it out, but I've always found it easier to work to a concrete goal and a deadline.  Starting is hard.

But then, isn't that what this part of my life is all about?  I'm trying to start something; a new life.

No comments: